When a pet is well-fed, it doesn’t need food from your plate, but resisting their pleading gaze is not always easy,nor is the persistence of a cat wanting to taste your food.
In principle, if our pet is fed with a complete meal, it’s unnecessary to give more food to our animal and in fact, doing so can be counterproductive for their health as the examples we are going to see next.
A poisoning little known to most dog owners, but with potentially fatal consequences, is grape and raisin toxicity.
The action mechanism is still unknown today, and grape and raisin toxicity
does not affect all dogs in the same way: while some dogs show no effects from eating grapes,
others can suffer severe kidney failure which can be fatal.
On the other hand, since World War II, chocolate poisoning is well-known, resulting from feeding pigs, calves, dogs and horses with cocoa surplus products. Dogs exhibit symptoms within hours
of consumption, ranging from gastrointestinal disturbances to, in severe cases, kidney damage and death.
Therefore, cakes and other human foods containing chocolate or its derivatives should be avoided. Chocolate contains a component called theobromine which is particularly toxic to dogs, mainly because it’s eliminated more slowly compared to other species like humans.
Finally, we would like to discuss a pathology well known in dogs and cats since the last century,
which is their sensitivity to eating onions and garlic, whether raw, cooked, or dehydrated. Moreover, while poisoning is more common in dogs, cats are more sensitive to this toxicity.These foods contain compounds that cause destruction of red blood cells and consequently anemia. There are even cases of animals fed small amounts over long periods with fatal consequences.
In conclusion, if your pet is fed with a complete and balanced meal like the one we make at ELMUBAS,
it is not recommended or necessary to provide more food, especially not foods from our own diet.